Quebec waiter arrested for serving food and causing anaphylactic shock in customer

Melissa Fundira for the CBC – Quebec waiter arrested after seafood puts allergic customer in coma

Canuel had left his EpiPen in his car.

He was hospitalized at the intensive care unit of the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Sherbrooke, where he was treated for a severe allergic reaction.

He says he also suffered a cardiac arrest the following day and was in a coma for several days.

“I almost died,” he said.

I’m not blaming Canuel one bit, but I can certainly understand how after carrying around an EpiPen for a long time, you can end up thinking it’s generally not needed. And seconds count when you have a reaction.

Also see Jonathan Montpetit’s article on the charges and legal side of things – Fish served to a customer nearly kills him – is that a crime?:

In order to convict the waiter, the Crown would have to establish that he displayed extreme carelessness toward the client’s safety, said one criminal defence lawyer.

“Criminal negligence requires a reckless disregard for human life,” Eric Sutton told CBC’s Radio Noon. “It’s not enough to be negligent or careless. You need more than that.”

Sutton is unconvinced the Crown will pursue a case against the waiter.

Allergies are certainly misunderstood by many people.