1 cup + 4 Tbsp rice flour blend**
3/4 cup white sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water or brewed coffee
2 cups chocolate chips (optional)***
Makes about 3 dozen mini cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Combine and whisk together all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine the oil, applesauce and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, until combined in a paste. Add in the hot water or brewed coffee and mix until it is all combined. It will be a loose batter consistency.
- Put mini cupcake cups into the mini cupcake tray, and fill with about 1 Tbsp of the batter, or until the cup is about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-15 min, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
*Adapted from Babycakes NYC vegan brownies recipe. I use a rice flour blend, plus reduce the amount of oil and sugar.
** The rice flour blend I’ve been using is as follows: 2 cups brown rice flour, 2 cups white rice flour, 2 cups glutinous rice flour, 1 2/3 cups tapioca flour or potato starch.
*** Adding 2 cups of chocolate chips will obviously increase the amount of mix. Plan on cooking another dozen or two mini cupcakes if you add in the chips.